A while ago Canberra suffered some pretty heavy hail. Worse I’ve seen, there was quite a bit of damage for some people.
My house was pelted pretty heavily and our polycarbonate roofing didn’t stand a chance.
To make things worse the insulation was soaking wet, a few of the skylight covers got cracked and the housings that were made out of particle board got wet and expanded by a whole 3 centimeters in some places.
For one reason or another when all the insurance claims went through we got a pay out for all the damage to the outdoor area but we had to find someone to fix it ourselves. So we got got a roofing company (Who won’t be named due to reasons that will soon be obvious) to come over, check out the damage and give us a quote for the repairs. So we get the quote and it’s $5,000. When we were like oh wow that’s a lot, he went on to say that they could do it for $4,000….. wat. The only thing included in the quote was just replacing the polycarbonate which is like $700 in supplies and two days of work. No thanks.
After all this time waiting on the insurance and being screwed around I decided that I was to do it myself, It’s not like I really had anything better to do anyway, anime can do without my viewership for a little while.
Anyways first off I needed to remove the roof. I tried doing this without gloves on… I cut myself a bunch… Edgy.
What a lovely day
Next up was to remove all the skylight housings. Took ages to finish, had to pull out a bunch of nails that were put there with a nail gun. Ended up with a whole bunch of trash I’m yet to bring to the tip.
This times 6
Now I had to remake the housings, problem was I had no idea what I was going to do, I couldn’t just leave it the way it was before, just replacing the particle board with solid wood, that would of been way too expensive and heavy. So I had to come up with my own design.
I was having trouble visualising what I was going to do so I made a 3D model and planned from there.
This isn’t anime
Then I started constructing the housings. I had to buy most of the tools and supplies like the wood and such. It was slow going as I’ve never done anything like this before.
What I ended up getting:
- Wooden beams
- Wood for the edgings
- Circular saw
- Power drill
- White wood primer
- Drill bits
- 2 Clamps
- Measuring square
- The new Baby Metal album
- Polycarbonate roofing
- Gap filler
- Other things I can’t remember at the moment
Then I drilled the roof back on and made sure to plaster up any small gaps where the skylight housings met the ceiling. All I need to do now is give everything a new coat of paint.
All done!… almost.
This was kinda different from usual so I hope it wasn’t super boring… well I had fun.
Anyways I wish you luck with anything and everything you’re trying to do!!! oxoxoxox <333